CITY OF BUFFALO EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
The following are general guidelines for Emergency Assistance Program qualification. For more detailed information--especially for specifics on qualifying repairs--please read the city's Emergency Repair Program PDF.
- You must have owned and occupied your home for at least one (1) year preceding your application.
- The property must be in generally good condition (reasonably well-maintained and structurally sound)
- You must be income-eligible, meeting federal guidelines for low or very low-income households.
Qualifying repairs include:
- Break in sanitary system
- Break in water service
- Electrical hazards at main panel
- Hazardous chimney
- Water meter installation
- Defective heating system
- Defective hot water storage heater
- Leaking roof system*
*Available only to very low-income households or to low-income elderly or disabled households
CITY OF BUFFALO 50/50 PROGRAM
Conditional grants are now available for low-income, first-time homebuyers. Under the 50/50 program, city funds will be used to match private financing for renovations to bring the property into compliance with local standards. No monthly or annual payments are required.
The loan is for a 10 year term and will be forgiven at the end of that time period in the case that residency requirements are met. This means that during the 10 year term the homeowner must occupy the property as their primary place of residence.
You must meet the HUD low income guidelines and your taxes and insurance must be paid through an escrow account with the mortgage lender. You are required to submit a pre-approval for funding from a non-predatory source to demonstrate that you have the ability to fund one half or more of the cost of the repairs.You are also required to attend homebuyer education session. The house must be a one or two unit dwelling and no tenants may be displaced due to the repairs.
CITY OF BUFFALO WEATHERIZATION PROGRAM
Funding up to $5,000 is available for weatherization related improvements based on an energy audit survey of the property. The property must be in generally good condition to qualify for assistance.
Loan funds are provided at no interest as a conditional grant. No monthly or annual payments are required but the amount provided must be repaid if the property is sold within the ten year regularly period.
- Households with income below 80% of the median in which one or both owners are elderly, disabled, or families with children
- Any household with income of less than 50% of the area median based on family size
- Property must be in generally good condition to qualify
- Required documentation includes (but not limited to) proof of ownership, household income, household size and composition, status of city/county taxes, water billand user fees.
CITY OF BUFFALO TARGET/FOCUS PROGRAM
This program offers a combination of conditional grants (deferred loans forgiven after 10 years) and 0% interest loans, repaid monthly.
Qualified owner-occupied, single-family homes can receive up to $35,000 for home repair and lead based paint remediation. Owner-occupied doubles, with a qualifying tenant, can receive up to $50,000. The program can assist one or two-family homes on specified target streets. If you live in the target area and income qualify, you may be eligible for this
Currently, Dearborn Street, house numbers 144-261 fall into this category but may be subject to change.
- Must be owner occupied
- Household income must be less than 80% of the area median income based on family size
- Must live on a specified target street area
Tuesday-Friday, 8:00-6:00: (716) 877-3910
Tuesday-Friday, 8:30-3:30: (716) 877-3910
This program is made available with the assistance of the City of Buffalo/City of Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency through the Community Development Block Grant and HOME Programs. Read more at the City of Buffalo website.